How to Report Racist Incidents
People experience and witness incidents of racism every day in Ireland. Unfortunately, many of these incidents are not recorded but that doesn’t mean that racism is not a big issue in Ireland. We believe that racism in under-reported in the Midwest.
If you have experienced or witnessed what you believe to be racism or discrimination, there are several reporting options:
- Garda Station: Report the incident at any Garda Station. We work closely with the Gardaí to address and prevent racist incidents. In some cases, it may be possible to take legal action.
- Doras Luimní: We can provide you with information about your rights and the
options for formal reporting. We offer an accompaniment service for formal reporting if you wish to report to the Gardaí. Speak to us in confidence by phoning 061 310328 or by email us at email@example.com for advice and support about what to do next.
- ireport: Report racism online. Whether you would like to make a formal complaint or not, you can fill report the incident via ENAR Ireland’s online reporting mechanism at www.ireport.ie.
What is a Racist Incident?
A racist incident is any incident which is perceived to be racist by the victim or any other person. The incident may involve targeting a person on the basis of their skin colour, or their ethnic, cultural or religious identity. Racist incidents can take many forms including:
- Physical – violent assault, threatening behaviour or some other physical attack.
- Verbal – name calling, ridiculing, telling racist jokes, making threats by social media or text message, racist graffiti.
- Other – ignoring, excluding, distributing racist literature, damaging property.
Some forms of racist incidents may involve criminal actions such as assault or vandalism. The laws that relate to racism in Ireland are: Equal Status Acts 2000-2008, Employment Equality Act 1998-2008, Non-Fatal Offenses Against the Person Act 1997, Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994, Prohibition of Incitement to Hatred Act 1989, and Bunreacht na hÉireann The Constitution of Ireland 1937.
For more information please contact Doras Luimní at 061310328 or email at firstname.lastname@example.org.